PERMANENT ADDRESS • 39 Intrepid Place, Jersey City, NJ• 07305
(American cell) +1 201-916-8229; skype ID: jonemont2
- Graduated: May, 2012, Swarthmore, PA
- High Honors in History (Major) and Political Science (Minor)
St. Anne’s College, Oxford University
- Junior year abroad: Oct/10-June/11, Oxford,UK
- Studied Philosophy Politics, and Economics (PPE)
Publications: The New York Times, New Yorker, The Washington Post, Economist, Foreign Affairs, Foreign Policy, Slate
Language Skills: Speaks, reads and writes bahasa Indonesian. Experience translating and interviewing in Indonesian.
Writing and Research Experience
Freelance Journalism—Multiple Publications
- Jun/13-present, Multiple Locations
- Reports for a wide range of publications on politics and identity in South East Asia and the Middle East. Topics include an investigation into virginity tests for female Indonesian police officers (Economist, Jakarta), Myanmar’s democratic transition (New Yorker, Yangon), the first Islamic school for transgender women (The New York Times, Yogyakarta),Cambodia’s messy politics (World Politics Review), ISIS in Indonesia (Foreign Policy, Jakarta), the first Queen of Java (Foreign Affairs, Yogyakarta), Indonesia’s reformist President (The New Republic, Jakarta), the rise of Egypt’s military dictatorship (The American Prospect, Cairo), Israeli Bedouin’s embrace of Palestinian identity (Tablet, Israel).
Facebook- Lead Researcher
- April/16-June/16, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Conducted research project on how low-income Indonesians use the “Facebook Free Basics” product which offers free internet to rural Indonesians. Interviewed and wrote up the stories of dozens of Indonesian users around the archipelago.
US State Department – Fulbright Research Scholar and CLEA Grantee
- Sept/14-Oct/15, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Conducted research on the historical roots of Indonesian nationalism at Gadjah Mada University. Research put in focus the relationship between democracy, Islam, and nationalism in Indonesia by examining alternate visions for the archipelago.Received a 3-month Critical Language Enhancement Award (CLEA) for intensive study of Bahasa Indonesian.
The Atlantic- Research Assistant
- Feb/12-April/12, Swarthmore, PA
- Contributed research for the “Iran War Clock,” which assesses how close the United States is to going to war with Iran. Researched past statements by Iranian, Israeli, and American officials that indicated the relative likelihood of war.
Daily Gazette - Co-Editor in Chief
- July/11 – Feb/12, Swarthmore, PA
- Managed 40 people at Swarthmore's largest, most-read paper. Responsible for recruitment, promotion, and pay decisions. Designated editor for features and large projects; wrote staff editorials.
NGO and Corporate International Experience
Extend - Co-Founder and Co-Director
- May/13-Oct/15, Tel Aviv, Israel & New York, NY
- Founded and directed NGO that provides subsidized, five-day tours of the West Bank so Americans visiting Israel canalso meet Palestinians. Led and designed itinerary for the first three tours. Responsible for grant writing, fundraising,media relations and staff recruitment.
Taurus Education- Senior Consultant
- June/12-May/13, Shanghai, China
- Assigned highest priority clients in education consulting start-up. Worked with students on writing, testing and critical thinking skills, and curriculum development.
Additional Research & Writing Experience
- Swarthmore Political Science Department (Swarthmore, 2012, Research assistant), Northrup Grumman (Los Angeles, 2011, Proposal Development), Hudson Institute (Oxford, 2011, Research intern),Slate (D.C., 2010, Research Intern), Population Council (Malawi, 2009, assisted study assessing impact of female education on women’s future lives)